2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 stick butter (eight tablespoons)
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups light brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
9 slices of canned pineapple in juice, drained
9 maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together 1/2 stick of butter, granulated sugar, vegetable shortening, milk, and vanilla extract. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- Melt the remaining 1/2 stick of butter in a skillet pan over medium heat. When melted, sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter, ensuring an equal distribution over the entire surface of the butter. Arrange the pineapple slices on top of the sugar, making three rows and then place maraschino cherries in the center of the slices.
- Pour the batter evenly over the pineapple slices and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Run a knife along the edges of the cake pan and place a plate on top. Invert the cake onto the plate.
- Let the cake cool off slightly before serving.